Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gold star days

Maybe one of these days I'll be able to give myself a gold star for being ordinary, and maybe one of these days I'll give myself a gold star for being extraordinary--for persisting. And maybe one day I won't need to have a star at all. _ Sue Bender

Back in the days of blackboards and chalk, gold stars came in a small cardboard boxes. You'd take off the lid to find five hundred gold,paper foil stars, stiff with dry glue backs.You could run your fingers through the possibilities. In your mind your heard the rustling of self worth. Nowadays gold stars get pulled off self sticking sheets. You don't even get the taste of success on your tongue, but I love them just the same.
Why not give yourself a gold star day today? Stick it to an empty calendar block . The star twinkles ,winks, and whispers "Good for you girl".
They are good to mark off accomplishments like taking a daily walk, or starting or finishing a project or just because I think I deserve a gold star day.
When we were young we were taught to reach for the stars. Today my goals are not so lofty, but each new day brings new possibilities of challenges to overcome and blessings to receive and pass on to others. Sounds like a good reason to add another gold star to my calendar.
Another blessed day of country living.

No comments:

Post a Comment